Tuesday 3 December 2013

Welcome to my first post. I hope to update regularly with artwork I have completed and at some point articles about what I have learned as an Artist.

I am currently painting on location or en plein air as it is commonly known (although one could argue the English version is the original since it was Constable and Turner that were perhaps the true pioneers. Maybe I'll write about that some other time.)

Here are a couple of small pieces about 7 x 9 on paper. 

Oyster Cove Left
7x9 Oil on Paper Dec 2013


Oyster Cove from above
7x9 Oil on Paper Dec 2013



















I find I am going out about the same time everyday around 2pm which gives me very little time  to paint, especially on overcast days, as the sun drops about 4:15 and last light is about 5pm.

This time of day is not ideal, sunrise is best for the quality of light, but I'm crap in the mornings and I usually have other business to attend to. I've learnt that it's more important to get out and just do it instead of using the lack of ideals as excuses not to. I always learn something useful when I'm out painting.

Rain wind and the cold are minor issues compared to the decisions that need to be made such as composition, notan, colour and drawing but these are things that need to be learned in a structured way. Painting plein air is quite spontaneous so there is little time to drag up things you have learned, you just have to go for it and somehow what you have truly understood and practiced finds it way into your work.

Hopefully I'll have time to write more about how to make these decisions and learn these skills or at least point you toward some resources that have been invaluable to me.

If you want to see more of my work I have a website with 4ormat (perfect for artists who haven't got time to learn programming etc..)

Please click here for my website.

Your comments will be well received.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment